Making a gift of shares is one of the easiest and most tax-effective ways of donating. It’s what we like to call getting a bigger bang for your buck.
By donating shares directly to the Montreal Children’s Hospital Foundation, you will not only help transform care for sick children, but you will also profit from significant tax benefits because you are eligible for two tax savings:
- A tax credit that is typically equal to the highest marginal tax rate
- No capital gains tax on the disposition (donated shares)
There is a wide variety of publicly-traded securities that qualify and donating is simple and straightforward.
The following example shows the results from:
- Donating the proceeds (cash gift) from the sale of shares (Scenario A)
- versus -
- Donating shares directly (Scenario B)
*For simplicity and illustration purposes, we will use 50% as marginal tax and tax credit rates for donations through this example. Actual results may vary depending on your marginal tax bracket.
These are general figures and do not constitute legal or financial advice.
Procedure and Forms
- Procedure for donation of shares (PDF)
- Gift of shares with Scotiabank form (PDF)
- Gift of shares with RBC form (PDF)
You have any questions? Please contact Samar El Soufi
You might also want to read:
Donate, help sick children
Heal. Love. Bond. Your tax-deductible donation will give new hope to sick children and their families.